Heating & Heat Loss
- Reduce heat loss by using a pool cover. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, savings of 50% – 70% are possible.
- Fencing, hedges, landscaping, and cabanas that shelter your pool from prevailing winds will further reduce heat loss.
- If your pool heater is more than five years old, chances are a new high efficiency gas heater could quickly pay for itself in utility bill savings.
- A pool heat pump can save up to 80% in energy usage compared to a gas heater. Check with your pool professional to see if a heat pump is appropriate for your region.
- If you use your pool only on weekends, reduce your heater or heat pump thermostats settings by eight to ten degrees during the week.
- When leaving for vacation for more than a week, turn off the pool heater or heat pump, including the pilot light. Please use caution in freezing conditions.
- According to the National Swimming Pool Institute and the American Red Cross, the most healthful swimming temperature is 78 degrees. Reducing your heater or heat pump thermostat to maintain a 78 degree or lower temperature will also help conserve energy.
- Install a timer or a control system to automate the hours of operation.
- When reopening your pool, make sure your heater or heat pump is working properly.
- Replace your pool pump with a more energy-efficient model.
- New variable speed pumps with permanent magnet motors and digital controls can save as much as 90% in utility costs compared to one- or two-speed pumps with induction motors.
- If using an energy-efficient one- or two-speed pump, make sure your pump is sized to your pool’s requirements.
- Reduce run time or speed to reduce energy use.
- If using a one-speed pump, reduce filtration run time. In general, water needs to be circulated through the filter once every 24 hours.
- If using a two-speed or variable speed pump, use the lowest speed to appropriately circulate the water. Reducing speed saves more energy than reducing run time.
- Consider having Atlantis Pools upgrade your plumbing lines from 1 1/2″ size to 2″ pipe and you will move more water in less time and your pool turnover rate will be much shorter. Shorter run times equal less energy usage.
- Keep intake grates clear of debris. Clogged drains require the pump to work harder.
- To obtain maximum filtration and energy efficiency, backwash or clean your filter regularly, as required.
An Eco Select™ Brand Choice: Standard pool pumps can consume as much energy as all other home appliances combined, often costing residential pool owners more than $1,000 per year! IntelliFlo pumps can typically cut energy use up to 90%, generally saving up to $1,500 in utility costs annually…more where rates are higher than average.*
CHECK OUT MORE ENERGY SAVING IDEAS BELOW!!
Heavy-duty polyethylene solar blanket material works with the sun to capture heat as it
prisms through the raised air pockets in the Solar Blanket bubble cover material.
Pool Solar Covers raise the pool water temperature by absorbing sunlight during the day
(as much as 10-15 degrees!) and retaining the heat at night. Keeps the heat put in by
your gas pool heater, electric pool heater or roof mounted solar heater, saving
hundreds of dollars per year in pool heating costs!
Savings also come from a reduction in water evaporation and chemical evaporation.
EASY AND INEXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE TO STANDARD SOLAR POOL COVERS! Inhibits pool water heat loss 24 hours a day.Works at approximately 60% the effectiveness of a conventional plastic solar blanket, at a fraction of the cost and effort.Simply place the Solar Pill in the pool skimmer basket and enjoy warmer pool water for up to 30 days. One Solar Pill treats up to 12,000 gallons for up to 30 days. The Solar Pill will be empty after 1-2 days in the skimmer. Once empty you can remove the Solar Pill and enjoy its effects for up to 30 days.Solar pills spread an invisible film over the water’s surface, greatly reducing heat loss through evaporation. Non-toxic and biodegradable. Liquid solar cover will keep your pool warm without the need for a cumbersome blanket.